Sacred Atlas logoSacred Atlas

Bristol Greyfriars

Christian·England·Ruins/Redeveloped·13th century

Bristol Greyfriars was a Franciscan friary located in Bristol, England, known for the grey robes worn by its friars. Founded before 1234 and relocated to Lewin's Mead in 1250, the friary featured extensive gardens and was constructed from local red sandstone. After its dissolution in the sixteenth century, the site saw numerous redevelopments and is currently occupied by an office block and part of Bristol Dental School.

Key Facts

  • Founded before 1234, receiving royal grants of wood and fish from Henry III.
  • Relocated to Lewin's Mead in 1250 due to river diversions.
  • The friary precinct was bounded by Upper Maudlin Street, Lower Maudlin Street, Lewin's Mead, and Johnny Ball Lane.
  • Buildings were constructed from local red sandstone.
  • Dissolved during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century.
  • The site is currently occupied by an office development and Bristol Dental School.
Bristol Greyfriars
Founding Date
before 1234
Architectural Style

Medieval

Notable Features

Extensive Gardens, Stone Walls Surrounding the Precinct, Chapter House, Medieval Conduit

Location Details
Located within the town walls of Bristol, England, and later at Lewin's Mead.
Alternative Names

Gray Friars

Denomination Or Order
Franciscan
Associated Figures

Henry Iii, Richard Yngworth, William Worcester, Jeremy Green

Historical Events

Dissolution of the Monasteries, Grant of Wood and Fish By Henry Iii, Relocation To Lewin's Mead, Lease To Town Council For Repairs, Grant To Mayor and Commonalty of Bristol

About Bristol Greyfriars

Bristol Greyfriars was a significant Franciscan friary located in Bristol, England. The friars of this order were known for their distinctive grey robes, which gave the institution its name. Historical records indicate the friary was established sometime before 1234, as evidenced by royal grants of fuel and provisions from King Henry III during that year.

History and Development

Initially situated within the town's fortifications, the friary underwent a relocation in 1250 to a site known as Lewin's Mead. This move was related to the diversion of the river Frome. The new location featured a marshy area that was drained and developed. The earliest church on the site measured approximately 50 by 9 meters, with later additions including cloisters, a bell tower, and a chapter house. The construction primarily utilized local red sandstone. The precinct, as described in the fifteenth century, encompassed an area roughly bounded by what are now Upper Maudlin Street, Lower Maudlin Street, Lewin's Mead, and Johnny Ball Lane. The friars maintained extensive gardens for horticulture, and the entire precinct was enclosed by freestone walls. Archaeological findings have uncovered graves dating from the thirteenth to fifteenth centuries and a medieval conduit.

Dissolution and Later History

During the sixteenth-century Dissolution of the Monasteries, the warden of Bristol Greyfriars was described as "stiff" and reportedly in debt. The friary was dissolved, with six friars surrendering the property. Subsequently, the precinct was leased to individuals and eventually granted to the Mayor and Commonalty of Bristol in 1541. The town council sought to utilize the stone from the friary for repairs to the town walls and harbour facilities. Over the ensuing centuries, the site experienced numerous transformations and was occupied by various entities, including a Moravian church and a chocolate factory. In modern times, the area is occupied by an office development, also named Greyfriars, and portions of the Bristol Dental School. Traces of the abbot's house were discovered during building works in 1989, with a small oval window incorporated into the new structure.

Source: Wikipedia ↗

Frequently Asked Questions

When was Bristol Greyfriars founded?

Bristol Greyfriars was founded at some time before 1234. This is known because King Henry III granted wood for fuel to the friars in that year.

Why did the friary move locations?

The friary originally stood within the town walls but was moved to Lewin's Mead in 1250. This relocation was necessitated by the diversion of the river Frome into St Augustine's Reach.

What materials were the buildings made from?

The buildings of Bristol Greyfriars were constructed from the local red sandstone. Some stained glass recovered from the chapter house is now housed in the Bristol City Museum.

What happened to Bristol Greyfriars after its dissolution?

Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the premises were leased to the town council for repairs to town walls and harbour facilities. The site has since been redeveloped multiple times and is currently occupied by an office block and parts of Bristol Dental School.

What was the significance of the name Greyfriars?

The name Greyfriars was derived from the grey robes worn by the Franciscan friars who lived there. This distinctive habit was characteristic of their order.